Wednesday 3 August 2011

Number 27 - Fireweed

Also known as  Rosebay WillowherbEpilobium angustifolium has sprung up all over the UK this summer.

The plant has also been known as bombweed, due to the sudden rise in population of the plant next to railways and in craters made by bombs in World War II. The plant is also known in Scotland as Singerweed, due to its sprouting of the plants on the bombed land of the Singer Sewing Machine Factory.

The plant's shoots can be eaten as an addition to salads, and if preserved, contain Vitamin C and Pro-Vitamin A. It's leaves can be used to make Kapoori/Kaporie/Kapor tea. In North America, Fireweed jelly, sweets and ice cream are popular treats. Rosebay is taken to ease stomach and digestion issues, such as cramps and diaherra.

However, even though the shoots of the plants can be eaten like asparagus, they are incredibly bitter, and are an aquired taste.

Rosebay can be taken as Kapoori Tea, in salads, or as pills and tinctures.

(A jar of Alaskan Fireweed Jelly. Would you eat this with PJ? Product of Alaska Pure Berry)

4 comments:

  1. I like to have some in my salads. They're good and healthy. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. A weed that grows well near bomb craters? Cool..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool places it grows at, cool name... Probably a terrific taste, too. What could you want more? I hope I'll get an opportunity to taste it one day : ) It seems it doesn't grow in my area. Actually, I don't even know what is its name in my language!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting! There is a herb shop just opened up in my town, I must go have a look...

    ReplyDelete